Balancing Shannon on the mountain

This is another photo from Shannon’s first shoot in the mountains of New Mexico.

Principals of composition
In this photo we see another example of the Golden mean. You will notice with the lines I have overlaid on the photo that Shannon’s bottom is in the first section of the lower frame ending just at her lower back. The next section contains the majority of Shannon’s mid/lower back and is sectioned off by her right arm and left shoulder. The final portion of the image contains Shannon’s upper back and head.

Notes on this image
Elements you want to appear larger in your photograph should be placed closer to your camera lens. In this example I wanted to show off Shannon’s beautiful backside and therefore it has been placed nearest to the camera lens. This photo was somewhat of a miss due to the low amount of lighting on my subject. The difference in texture is very nice as well as the contrast in shape but the overall lighting makes for a less powerful image.    

We are getting close to the end of the month and I’m working on a couple of different new tasks. I will be sending out my newsletter at the end of the month and encourage you to sign up.

Next week we will be discussing a photo in which Shannon bravely started to scale the coal tailings in the driving wind. I will be discussing the diagonal method as well as contrast in texture and color.

If you haven’t already signed up for my newsletter please take the time to give me a little info about you. You can find my sign up by going here http://beta.privy.com/s/fr18tsI. Spring is almost here and my first giveaway is drawing closer as the days pass.    

Thank you and see you next time,

JW Purdy


Comments

Popular Posts