My Second Nude Year Day 258

Day 258
Back in Shannon's room at her dad's house tonight. You will notice the old TV has found a new space to occupy. I just can't get rid of it since it is such a wonderful prop and hard to find anymore. Shannon's dad's house is smaller than ours but since it was built in 1969 it feels bigger. The bedrooms are all much larger than ours and the layout is more closed off but for some reason, it just feels bigger. The living spaces are much smaller than ours and that's where the true difference lies. I love tonight's photo. Some of these candid shots of Shannon just cheesing at the camera are the best in my opinion. My favorite shots are the ones in which I capture the true Shannon as only I know her.

Shannon is the most loving, humble, empathetic, giving, and kind people most have ever met. I think this is what always makes her the most popular person in the room. Over the years she has had the pleasure of working with some world-renowned artists and writers and made a huge impression on most of them. She has worked with writers, whose job it is to listen to people and then document their stories in books. One writer, in particular, told me she is the best listener they have ever had the pleasure of meeting and that they must write a book about and featuring her. Shannon jumped at the idea and this published writer and photographer is now considered a close family friend. Shannon has worked with some giants in the art world and had things gone a little differently, a two-story tall painting of her would be gracing the iconic Astrodome now. She has been featured in the works of some of New York's highest earning artists and still, she will say she's just a simple girl from the great state of Texas.

You hear people say from time to time that someone is great, "They will give you the shirt off of their back". Giving someone help like that is indeed nice I will agree but watch how he or she handle stress and a lot of times you will find that giving nature closes off a little. I have seen Shannon get 2 hours of sleep, have a completely booked day of appointments, and in the midst of all that take time to stop and pick something up for a friend and drive the hour to their house because they are feeling under the weather. Then she will sit and talk with the friend for an hour or more and end up cooking them soup and serving them until she feels they are adequately cared for before leaving to come home and cook dinner for us.  When someone asks something of her she doesn't give it a second thought. She just finds a way to work it in. She gets that quality from her dad.

Why am I writing all of this and how does it affect you? Sometimes I'm just struck with admiration of her and must let it out. I'm sure that most of you have figured out by now that things have changed in our lives starting in early July at Day 193. It would have been easy for Shannon to just throw in the towel and say she couldn't continue with the project. Do you know that she never even brought it up, not once? During one of the most stressful events, someone can face in life she continues on without missing a beat. Someone without knowledge of her personal life would never know she is currently running at 100 miles an hour with every day packed full of tasks to attend to. Yet, she is my duck, letting the water slid off her back with a smile on her face and God in her heart. On some days she may look sad or tired and I don't want you to hold that against her. During a year-long project, you will get to see every emotion at some point. In a way, I think that is one of the elements that make these projects so interesting. Some critics during our last year-long project asked why we didn't just shoot several photos a few times a month and make daily posts. I explained the premise and intent of getting a new photo every day and it fell on deaf ears. They just couldn't see the reason for shooting a new photo each day. I really thought this judge with an MFA could grasp the concept better. 

By and by I just wanted to say thank you all for your support and know that we are committed to this project and you. Your wonderful messages of encouragement bring me joy and I pass them on to Shannon since she doesn't actually get to see the page. Here's to a strong last third of the year. 

©JW Purdy All rights reserved

 

There is commentary as well as the images and BTS videos that didn't make today's cut available. Reach out to me for details.

 



Comments

Popular Posts