My Second Nude Year Day 13

 Day 13

Tonight a photo of Sally Mann’s early work inspired me. Mrs. Mann has an absolutely wonderful body of work. I read her, Hold Still: A Memoir with Photographs, and it is great. I highly recommend it. This book is a must-have if you, like me, love her work. I love that she is now working with old plate photography. I would love to learn how to develop this type of medium. Several years ago when I was getting more serious about my photography I found a video series by Ted Forbes from Dallas, Texas. Ted launched a great video channel called, “The Art of Photography”. During his early episodes, he explained his process for developing film. This intrigued me since I had learned on film and inspired me to start developing my own film. It has been great for me and I really enjoy the process. This love of the process caused me to seek out other photographers that develop their own work, which in turn lead me to Sally Mann. She has gone way beyond developing her own film into shooting plate photos. If you have a minute look her up and dive into her work. Allow it to really sink in and I’m sure you will also find her compelling.

If you are interested in getting into photography I recommend watching the early episodes of “The Art of Photography” by Ted Forbes if they are still available. Ted is awesome and has refined his channel into a work of art.


©JW Purdy All rights reserved

 

There is commentary as well as the images and BTS videos that didn't make today's cut available. Reach out to me for details.

Comments

Popular Posts